Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers any damage or loss to your household possessions, it typically covers damage caused by fire, theft (or even attempted theft), vandalism, flooding, water or oil leaks (although most insurers generally offer more extensive cover). Some policies cover you for items you take outside, for example cameras, jewellery and briefcases. It is always vital that you thoroughly read and understand the full policy terms and conditions. 

If not already covered by your contents insurance, you may want to consider travel insurance for loss or damage to your personal belongings whilst travelling. For more information see Travel insurance. 


What isn't covered?

First you will have to specify the value of your properties contents, some insurance companies have a limit on how much they will pay for certain items so it is important that you specify individual items such as expensive jewellery. Each insurer has a maximum amount they will pay so it is important that you find a policy suited best for you.

Your cover may also be affected or cancelled if you leave your home empty for a long period of time, or if you let it out. Damage to the building itself is also not covered; this needs to be covered separately with Buildings insurance – see Buildings insurance.


Keeping costs down

Many insurers will offer discounts if you have a burglar alarm, window locks or if you're a member of a Neighbourhood Watch scheme. You may also get a deal if you combine contents and buildings insurance. 

Most policies have a standard excess charge which means you agree to pay the first part of any claim, for example the first £50 or £100. If you agree to pay a higher excess you might get a cheaper policy. 

Always compare what's covered by a policy, not just the price – the key policy information will help you do this. Some might be cheaper than others, but they may not offer the same level of protection. 

Level of cover

Some contents insurance policies offer new for old. This means they'll replace old damaged appliances and possessions with new ones when you claim. 

Bear in mind that your premiums may increase the following year, or the insurance company may refuse to cover you for the same risk if it happens more than twice, for example.


Benefits Include

  • Accidental Damage Cover
  • Credit Card Misuse
  • Deeds, registered bonds and personal documents
  • No Claims Discount
  • Domestic outbuilding contents (other than garages)
  • Door lock replacement
  • Frozen food
  • Garden
  • Gold, silver, jewellery and furs
  • Money
  • Seasonal / Wedding increase info